Author Topic: "Bmw K100rs 1987" Fork binding  (Read 1030 times)

Offline timewolf

• Little Wolf
  • Motobrick Curious
"Bmw K100rs 1987" Fork binding
« on: July 28, 2017, 09:12:09 AM »
Hey Brickers!
I've searched threw this site to no avail . Perhaps some can help a brother out?!?!

I Have 1987 BMW K100rs.
This past week after repairing a flat i was riding and noticed my bike was diving (more then usual:) and then what sounded like clicking , or bottoming out was occurring .Last night i pulled the forks to clean , drain oil , and change out to new progressive springs. the right fork seemed to be bound up . at first the spring would not come out. Then i pulled the fork out of the triple clamp and pushed down , the spring came out , but now the tube won't extend to the full hight, its binding on something . tends but shy about an 1". The fork is straight. no accidents or drops . not sure what happened . any thoughts ?do i need forks or just is there a fix ?   

Any thought or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Wolf
  • brooklyn
  • 1987 bmw k100rs
Holding it down since 79

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Re: "Bmw K100rs 1987" Fork binding
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 09:47:22 AM »
greetings...

you gotts the sliders on the proper tubes...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Laitch

• Redline 7000
  • Forum Moderator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: "Bmw K100rs 1987" Fork binding
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 07:14:55 PM »
Hey Brickers!
 , but now the tube won't extend to the full hight, its binding on something . tends but shy about an 1". The fork is straight. no accidents or drops . not sure what happened . any thoughts ?do i need forks or just is there a fix ?   
Any thought or help would be greatly appreciated!
Have you removed the seal retaining clip? That needs to come off, then you use the tube as a slide hammer and pop the seal off. After that the tube will slide right out of there. The process is in video on this site and in workshop manuals on this site.
9:42 is when the action starts. The fork isn't a BMW fork but the process is the same.

• Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 72,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Tags: