Author Topic: 1993 K75S first bike  (Read 6051 times)

Offline arthurrr

• Curious
1993 K75S first bike
« on: July 05, 2017, 05:59:29 AM »
Hello from Belgium! Last year I bought a 1993 K75S with slightly less than 50k miles on it as my first bike and so far I rode 5k happy miles with it.
The bike looked great but since I did not have any information about the service history I changed the air, oil and fuel filter, motor, final drive and transmission oil. I also changed the clutch cable and the crankcase breather hose. I installed a Hepco&Becker rack and tragkorbs (those are awesome as compared to the BMW tragkorbs), improved the tail light (added LED strips in the tail light as shown in one of the topics here) and added brake ‘eagle eye’ LEDs on the license plate holder. I also added fog lights (not yet on the pictures) and while doing that I wired relays into the headlight (also thanks to the information on this forum).
In the future I want to replace all fuel lines and maybe the rubber of the air intake manifolds/throttle body, the front fork oil and seals, the splines (never checked them, should be on the top of my list maybe). I also have the low seat version while I’m quite tall, so thinking about increasing the saddle height one way or another.
Please feel free to mention thing I should check or do as well.

Finally, some pictures…and…a thank you to everyone sharing information on this forum. Since it’s my first bike I had literally zero experience with motorcycle maintenance so this forum was of incredible value! :clap: :clap: :clap:
  • Belgium
  • k75s 1993

Offline Rcgreaves

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • "I'd rather be flying, but this will do nicely"
Re: 1993 K75S first bike
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 06:09:09 AM »
Spline service is not as intimidating as it seemed to me. I really ought to be atop your priority list above cosmetic stuff. My 87' 75s has 107,000 Miles so far

Sent from my A573VC using Tapatalk

• Livingston in Southwest WI. USA-"With the good earth all around."
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II
Doing “better than I deserve"

Offline Rcgreaves

• "I'd rather be flying, but this will do nicely"
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 06:10:49 AM »

Spline service is not as intimidating as it seemed to me. It really ought to be atop your priority list- above cosmetic stuff. My 87' 75s has 107,000 Miles so far. Bon voyage!

Sent from my A573VC using Tapatalk

• Livingston in Southwest WI. USA-"With the good earth all around."
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II
Doing “better than I deserve"

Offline Martin

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 06:12:12 AM »

Welcome to the asylum from the land of OZ. You might find someone who wants to swap their high seat for your low seat. Just make sure you swap all the hinges and locks, as they are different.

Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 09:13:30 PM »
I installed a Hepco&Becker rack and tragkorbs (those are awesome as compared to the BMW tragkorbs),
Welcome, arthur!

Your description of your bike's maintenance is a model for others to follow who have purchased used K-bikes.  Did you have any complications to overcome when you installed the Hepco&Becker rack? Can you share the H&B catalog number of the rack you used? Please post a photo of the rack from the rear of the bike, if possible.

Thank you for your encouraging post.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline K1300S

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 09:32:58 PM »
nice bike...and color! 

you did not mention flushing the brake systems...if you have not done it...DO IT NOW!!!!!

then replace ALL the fuel lines.

then do the spline lube.

that is only about a half days work...for all of it.

then continue riding...
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline arthurrr

• Curious
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 04:50:01 AM »

you did not mention flushing the brake systems...if you have not done it...DO IT NOW!!!!!

Ah indeed, forgot to mention, the rear brake wasn't working when i bought it, luckily flushing the lines and replacing the pads did the job.

Thanks for the comments everyone, i'll put new fuel lines and spline lube on the top of my list then!
  • Belgium
  • k75s 1993

Offline arthurrr

• Curious
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 05:13:43 AM »
Welcome, arthur!

Your description of your bike's maintenance is a model for others to follow who have purchased used K-bikes.  Did you have any complications to overcome when you installed the Hepco&Becker rack? Can you share the H&B catalog number of the rack you used? Please post a photo of the rack from the rear of the bike, if possible.

Thank you for your encouraging post.

Thank you! I bought the rack & tragkorb set-up from a 1991 K75RT owner, don't know if H&B sells a different rack for the 75S but this one didn't fit exactly, either the foot peg bolt or the upper right bolt was about half an inch off. I used a small adapter plate, some bolts and washers to fix it, it's not the cleanest install but it feels solid and does the job.
Plus i paid about 170 USD for the complete set-up so it was worth the try if you ask me!

I'll check later if i can find the catalog nr on the rack and post some pictures.
  • Belgium
  • k75s 1993

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 07:08:27 AM »
. . . I used a small adapter plate, some bolts and washers to fix it
. . . i paid about 170 USD for the complete set-up so it was worth the try if you ask me!
That was a deep discount! Whenever an opportunity comes along, please post a few photos of your adapter plate assembly.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline arthurrr

• Curious
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 05:03:34 PM »
Took some pictures of the rack. As you can see, it has 3 mounting points at each side, the rack tilted around the middle one (2). I mounted (1) and (2) and used a small metal plate to mount (3)
@Laitch I've included a picture of the rear hope that's clear enough?
  • Belgium
  • k75s 1993

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 05:07:23 PM »
Took some pictures of the rack.
Thanks, arthurrr! That's helpful.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline arthurrr

• Curious
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 11:12:49 AM »
The crownwheel bearing of my bike were worn (see other topic) so i had to take of the final drive anyway, took the time to clean, inspect and lube the splines.

When i compare them to the pictures i've seen on this forum i'm afraid they're relatively worn..the pinion splines look ok, shaft splines are quite sharp. I'm going to lube them regularly (as @mlytle and @Rcgreaves mentioned, not a lot of work indeed) and let's hope i can put some extra miles on them.. Probably difficult to estimate but how many miles would be feasible according to you gentlemen? :)

• Belgium
  • k75s 1993

Offline stokester

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 05:17:06 PM »
nice bike...and color! 

then replace ALL the fuel lines.

then do the spline lube.

that is only about a half days work...for all of it.

then continue riding...

The only thing I would add is to also check valve clearances.

As with the other items, not difficult but you will need special tools to change them if necessary.

Nice job with the cases.  Ride on!

• Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 06:32:02 PM »
Looks like the splines have never been done.  The red stuff on the final drive splines looks like the factory lube.  Drive shaft looks a bit marginal, but the final drive looks okay from the angle the picture is taken.  I would start looking for a replacement drive shaft now. 

Maybe you can swap shafts with a cappuccino racer.  With the limited miles those bikes get between photos, your drive shaft would last for many years.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Christopherguzzi

• My first Beemer🏍.
  • ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • It ran when it was parked........27 years ago😳.
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 12:25:39 AM »

Looks like the splines have never been done.  The red stuff on the final drive splines looks like the factory lube.  Drive shaft looks a bit marginal, but the final drive looks okay from the angle the picture is taken.  I would start looking for a replacement drive shaft now. 

Maybe you can swap shafts with a cappuccino racer.  With the miles those bikes get, your drive shaft would last for many years.

"swap shafts with a cappuccino racer"  Funniest thing I've heard related to a k bike in a long time.  :hehehe Best of luck with your brick arthurrr.

• Little Canada, Minnesota
  • 1986 K75C
Christopherguzzi

Offline arthurrr

• Curious
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2017, 09:39:29 AM »
Wow, if the red grease is indeed factory lube it's quite amazing how "well" the splines look after 56k miles..i'll inspect and lube them regularly while looking out for a replacement shaft, thanks for the comments! :2thumbup:
  • Belgium
  • k75s 1993

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2017, 09:52:43 AM »
Probably difficult to estimate but how many miles would be feasible according to you gentlemen? :)
Thousands, but it might be prudent to have towing insurance because when they finally break, you'll be seated on a motionless, screaming bike.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Tags: