Author Topic: K75s Midlife Refresh V2.0  (Read 27412 times)

Offline K1300S

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
K75s Midlife Refresh V2.0
« on: July 03, 2017, 09:56:22 PM »
NOTE:  PHOTOBUCKET is having issues currently (31DEC19).  pictures in this thread will not be visible until they fix the system...sorry!

I told myself i would not do this.  the 92 K75s on Clist was impossible NOT to buy.  it had been sitting outside for well over a year.  it did not run.  it was filthy.  the tires were flat.  i brought it home anyway.

didn't know what i would do with it.  i already have a 94 that is identical.  (see K75s midlife refresh thread)  parts bike?  get it started, clean it up and flip it?  resell as is?  last thing i thought was to do full refresh and keep it.

oh well...cleaning it up has turned into major scope creep.  i posted a few times about the bike, but since it is getting more involved, it may as well have its own thread.

the bike is a 92. at some point in its life it was well cared for.  decent maint, progressive springs in front and progressive 465 adjustable shock in rear. corbin seat.  side cases.  decent original paint.

but...PO bought it to replace a moped.  promptly dropped it on right side in first week of ownership and parked it outside.  squirrels, mice and ants made a condo out of it.  tires rotted. battery died.  i decided to save it.

right side lower fairing cracked

Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline K1300S

Re: K75s Midlife Refresh V2.0
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 10:04:12 PM »
first order of business, basic cleaning to see what i had.

upper fairing also light damage

starting to clean up ok

and then took lower fairing off.
the start of the acorn stash..

inside of tank looked ok as i was pumping the old gas out of it.

went to replace the battery with spare one i had..more acorns..

new battery in...new gas...it started right up and idled perfectly.  hmm, might not be so bad!

parked it next to K75s midlife refresh V 1.0

Offline K1300S

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 10:10:42 PM »
pulled FD and driveshaft...splines not horrible for 62k miles.

pulled tank....found both large connector housings FULL of ants.  everywhere.   did full cleaning of all the wires and connectors...after generous use of RAID and spray.

no pics, but changed fork oil.  there was only 200cc's in them. and it was dark brown.  410cc of honda 10w in there now.

flushed brake fluid front and rear.  replace rear brake pads which were worn to the backing plates.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 10:19:34 PM »
pulled tank....found both large connector housings FULL of ants.  everywhere.   
Attracted by the sugar in the decomposing acorn nutmeat, they found a nest out of the weather with an easy commute.  :2thumbup:
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline K1300S

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 10:24:18 PM »
next trouble shot the ABS system.  not left side abs light on dash.  found ABS module unplugged in rear cowl.  followed ABS tests from k-bike.com...all the sensors and modulators checked out fine.  took cluster apart to find....a PO had removed the bulb from the ABS dash light.  took the bulb from the "fast idle" light and moved it to ABS location.  reassembled the cluster.  ABS light works...and confirmed the ABS module is toast.  that is why PO had pulled the bulb and disconnect the module....

while in there...pulled the headlight bulb, sprayed a bunch of windex inside the H4 housing, sloshed around, stuffed papertowel in there and wiped it around with poker.  removed....lens MUCH cleaner.

and since i had all the tupperware off the bike..i saw more ants under the airbox.  decided to pull it to see where they were hiding.....YIKES!

mouse house under airbox behind TB's....

cleaned that all out.  and the airbox.  and replaced all the fuel lines and the pressure regulator vacuum line.  they were all original.  for those who think they last forever...THINK AGAIN!  all the hoses had cracks at the ends and the original clamps were loose because the hoses had dried out.  the vacuum line basically disintegrated in my hands.

really do not like the "naked" look.  can't wait to get all the proper "S" tupperware back on it.  still have some maint to do before i get there....story will continue....

Offline Elipten

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 02:44:18 AM »
Very cool

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • San Antonio, TX
  • 1990 K75RT

Online Martin

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 03:06:10 AM »

:2thumbup: Marshal's K75 rescue service. You need to put a flat cargo chair on one for emergency rescues.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline stokester

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 08:17:32 AM »
Great project, thanks for sharing.  :2thumbup:

Picked up my K75S near Richmond with a bad ABS brain and had Tosi repair it.  Works great ever since.

I'm looking for another K75S, possibly a rescue within driving distance to add to the stable, the riding position is near-perfect for me.  So if you come across another great find you don't want drop me a PM.
  • Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Offline F14CRAZY

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 10:57:17 AM »
Those critter hideouts are pretty nasty but it looks like you found a solid brick to resurrect
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • '87 K75C
'87 K75C w/ Pichler V1 fairing. LED's, CATZ driving lights, Audiovox cruise, LT top case, tons of other mods by Drake...

Offline Christopherguzzi

• My first Beemer🏍.
  • ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • It ran when it was parked........27 years ago😳.
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 11:57:35 AM »
Thanks for sharing your process and critter stashes.  Looks to be a darned good bike that needed to be back on the road.

:2thumbup:
  • Little Canada, Minnesota
  • 1986 K75C
Christopherguzzi

Offline K1300S

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 06:16:56 PM »
more progress today.

finished cleaning out the critter condos, found the bike had a pretty recent K&N filter.  cleaned the dirt out, re-oiled and put the airbox back together.

pulled fuel pump out of tank to check mounting and hoses.  looks like it is more recent than original. mount in great shape.

filter was from 2012

reassembled and put back on bike.

got out the LEXOL leather cleaner and conditioner...went to town on the seat.

bike was missing the rear wheel spacer.  this is what the rear caliper looks like after wheel spokes hit it...

and the wheel damage

many thanks to JO for the spacer!

put all the tupperware back on...didn't even have any extra screws when done!  (except for the lower cowl...need to do some fiberglass reinforcement work on that still....)

part of the work today was reseting the ABS.  was getting fault code 6 before all the cleaning, testing and bulb replacement.  no codes now.  will have to test drive soon to see if any reappear.

in case anyone was wondering if i forgot something..i had already changed the engine oil and filter, the tranny oil and the FD oil.

enough for today...time to go watch the fireworks in DC!!!

Offline K1300S

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 10:15:17 PM »
long time since update....i kept fiddling with the bike all summer.  think i still have a loose wire in the ABS system somewhere.  sometimes it seems to work fine, then the warning light comes on and just the front ABS stops working.  rear always works fine. oh well.  of course...the brain shows no error code at all when it fails.

at the last track day, i had a fork seal start leaking again on the 94.  i was too lazy to fix it ...so i took this bike to the track for a day instead of the 94.

but....it needed tires and brakes..so i just swapped the wheels, rotors(EBC) and pads(EBC HH) from the 94 over on to this one.  then found some decent spark plugs i had laying around to replace the old ones in the bike.  might have been easier to fix the fork seal on the 94, but i really wanted to try out the 92.  it is not registered, so i can't really ride it anywhere on the street.

nothing like an all day Italian tune up to get a old bike running well!!  90 miles near the red line, half a bottle of techron and a tank of 93 octane....it runs better than the 94.  no rattles off idle!  what a hoot.

after two track days on the tires, i gotta say michelin pilot activs rock for these bikes.  ez turn in, super grippy.  the outer third of the tread is clearly a softer compound...touch your finger to it when tires are warm and it sticks.

these bikes are obviously not track bikes though....was dragging foot pegs on nearly every corner. suspension is not lowered, but has progressive 465 in rear and progressive springs up front.   suspension was a touch softer than the Fox rear/racetek front i have on the 94. 

was still a bunch of fun!   didn't have the power to keep anyone back on the straights, but was gaining or holding in all the twisties in my group. 

got some YEEEE HAAA!

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 10:50:58 PM »
 :riding:
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Online Martin

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 11:26:02 PM »
 :clap:Next time remove the tragkorbs.
Regards Martin.

Offline K1300S

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 08:26:07 AM »
:clap:Next time remove the tragkorbs.
Regards Martin.

:-)
all gone...even the brackets!

it was really foggy until about 9am.

and there was an Italian MC club show at lunch at the track.  this is about half the display.  one of them was the first Ducati...a bicycle with a small motor.  the owner actually took it out for a lap of the track at lunch.  was kinda funny, since he was on track, he had to wear full leathers and helmet...on a bicycle.  then it died about 200 yards from Pit In.  he pedaled it the rest of the way.  wish i had a pic, but i was in next run group and was waiting to on track.

Online Martin

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2017, 03:29:29 PM »
From the pictures I just worked out why they were getting you down the straight. Too much drag you removed the tragkorbs and brackets but you left the drag inducing mudflaps. You'll get next time, go Marshall.  :2thumbup: :clap:
Regards Martin.

Offline K1300S

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2017, 10:43:24 PM »
LOL...DANG...gotta fix that!  actually took the rear mudflap off after the bike was loaded on the trailer..

interesting corner entry sequence done by the track photog...  5 frames entering a fast left hand turn at end of main straight.  keep hitting the advance button up top.

the old K is workin'!

https://speedoflifephotographydianawv.shutterfly.com/pictures/251483#252088

Offline Rcgreaves

• "I'd rather be flying, but this will do nicely"
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 12:29:20 PM »
I for one wish to see more Ks dragging pegs...though I have three restorations to address I would not have passed up this bike. 

Love the shop, my 4 wheel addiction: 79 911SC
  • Livingston in Southwest WI. USA-"With the good earth all around."
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II
Doing “better than I deserve"

Offline KosmicK1100

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2019, 12:37:17 PM »
Congratulations on saving the K75, it is a labor of love, yes? Great to see all the effort you are putting into the refresh. Nice save!
  • France, Germany
  • K1100RS

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2019, 01:26:18 PM »
Nice piccies!  On #3 you can actually see the counter steer on the front wheel.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline K1300S

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2019, 08:54:21 PM »
bike has had a few more track days since that one.  lots of fun!

Offline K1300S

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2023, 05:30:52 PM »
bringing thread back from the dead.

yes, i still have this bike, and the other "good twin".

it has been parked undercover against the wall in my shop for 3+ years.  forgotten.

i put a new battery in the K75S that i use, so i took the old one and.....put it in this bike.  because i felt bad that it had been ignored for so long.

battery in, hold breath, fast idle on, turn key, push button.

VROOM!  instant 1400rpm smooth fast idle.  dang, i knew i put it away in great shape and it had stabil in the fuel, but really didn't expect it to start up on the first push of the button.

K bikes rock!

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2023, 05:44:33 PM »
It's really cool to have a 30+ year old bike fire instantly after three years!

Bricks certainly rule.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2023, 07:28:22 PM »
It has been parked undercover against the wall in my shop for 3+ years.  forgotten.. . .battery in, hold breath, fast idle on, turn key, push button.. . .VROOM!  instant 1400rpm smooth fast idle.
Being parked on checkered shop flooring was undoubtedly a contributor to creating that kind of performance.  icon_cheers Good decorating choice!
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline K1300S

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2023, 07:50:13 PM »
Lol... Those tiles do hide oil leaks well..

Tags: