Author Topic: Awakening 1987 K100RS from 10 year slumber.  (Read 8084 times)

Offline SpecialK

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Re: Awakening 1987 K100RS from 10 year slumber.
« Reply #175 on: September 20, 2019, 10:33:51 AM »
Well things have slowed down over the past two weeks. Just about all the major items I wanted to attend to are done:
-New fuel pump, filter, float gauge, hoses.
-Cleaned tank
-Flushed and cleaned radiator. New fluid.
-Fuel injectors refurbished, fuel rail cleaned, new plugs gapped.
-Instrument cluster taken apart and pin connectors cleaned.
-Cleaned speed pulse sensor at the final drive and electrical connectors.
-Removed final drive. Cleaned and re lubed splines.
-Rebuilt rear master cylinder. Bleed rear and front brakes with new DOT 4 fluid.
-Took apart and cleaned rear calipers.
-Front turn signals were not working so removed and reconnected the wires. Removed some bulbs that were put in there for heat.

So now I will be reinstalling the lower fairing and knee pads and taking for a test ride. The weather has turned somewhat cooler and the days are shorter so work in the morning is limited.
If all checks out the bike will be ready for winter storage until next spring when new funds should provide the means for continued restoration.

Thanks, JT
  • Wappingers Falls, New York
  • 1987 K100RS
"The first to present his case seems right, till another comes forward and questions him". Proverbs 18:17

Offline SpecialK

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #176 on: October 21, 2019, 12:23:00 PM »
Took the K for another test ride last week and was very pleased with the bikes performance. The rear brake is working nicely and the speedometer that was not working a month or two ago, is now working. Rode around for  a few miles and the odometer is working too.

I am going to be storing the bike soon for winter in my garage and resume work on it next spring. A friend who has had many bikes, and currently has a Harley Sportster and a Kawasaki ZRX, says that he uses Lucas Fuel Stabilizer. Anybody have experience with this or other products?

How late in the fall do folks ride? Or is anybody riding throughout the winter here in the Northeast?

• 1987 K100RS
"The first to present his case seems right, till another comes forward and questions him". Proverbs 18:17

Offline Laitch

• Redline 7000
  • Forum Moderator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #177 on: October 21, 2019, 12:39:25 PM »
I have used STA-BIL fuel stabilizer for 20 years in 10% ethanol gasoline for motorcycle storage and all my chainsaws and brushcutters. The equipment remains in good condition. It's not plagued by gasket or hose deterioration. I use or replace stabilized fuel within a year. Usually it's used within six months.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 72,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline SpecialK

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #178 on: Today at 07:43:45 PM »
I have used STA-BIL fuel stabilizer for 20 years in 10% ethanol gasoline for motorcycle storage and all my chainsaws and brushcutters.

Do you fill the tank with fuel then use 1 oz. or 30ml per 2 1/2 gals. of STA-BIL like it says on the bottle? So you would use 60ml for 5 gals. tankfull?
  • 1987 K100RS

Offline SpecialK

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #179 on: Today at 07:49:45 PM »
I put the lower fairing panels and the knee pads back on and ready for winter storage.
Question: Does anyone use the Beltran Battery Tender and if so, what amperage? I was told by MAX to use less than 2 amps. I see they have a 750mA Tender Junior and a 1.25A Tender Plus.
I have the Westco 12V/30AH battery.

Thanks.
  • 1987 K100RS

Tags: speedometer