Author Topic: '88 K75S, Integral Case (luggage) gasket...  (Read 2850 times)

Offline bearbeatz

• Curious
  • What a long, strange trip it's been...
'88 K75S, Integral Case (luggage) gasket...
« on: June 23, 2017, 03:58:14 PM »
Hi, there- first time post. A minor, almost cosmetic question.

My 1988 K75S, when I bought it years ago, also came with the full set of cases, top and integral. All are in good condition, but I have noticed a slight disconnect in the integral cases forming a complete seal when buttoned up. Looking further, I noted a gasket part that my cases never came with.

Parts diagram link: http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51745&rnd=12082016
Another linked pic: https://www.bmwbayer.de/Gasket-for-Cover-BMW-Integral-case-from-03-92-left-BMW-R2V-K-models-?info=4082

The questions: do any of have the gaskets on your cases? Do they help to fill the void or secure the seal between? Does it offer additional weatherproofing to your satisfaction? If so, which case lip are they mounted on- the main case body lip or the lid lip?

If so, what mounting advice? Which side, the main (side closest to motorbike) or the lid? What epoxy or adhesive would you use to secure the gaskets?

Lastly- I did not see any indication for year in the diagrams except for the main page indicating the years of production. Is the gasket universally sized throughout the production years of the K75/100 cases?

Many thanks and happy trails,
bearbeatz
  • Newport, OR
  • '88 K75s

Offline Andy FitzGibbon

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: '88 K75S, Integral Case (luggage) gasket...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 11:24:54 PM »
It's 5mm neoprene cord.  Fits in the "gutter" in the rear case half with no adhesive.  It does help seal the cases up, though not all of them will seal 100%.

You can buy the cord on eBay for less than what BMW asks for it.

Andy
  • Montrose, WV
  • 1985 K100RS, 1972 R75/5, 2012 Suzuki DR650

Offline Martin

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 02:43:12 AM »

I was going to try the rubber spline that secures fly screens into the frames. I have some, but can't seem to locate it at the moment. I'll post if it works.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Martin

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 02:16:48 AM »

Fly screen window spline rubber is available in 5mm and 6mm which would go into the rear channel.
Regards Martin

• North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline bearbeatz

• Curious
  • What a long, strange trip it's been...
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 03:33:36 PM »
Thanks for the details on the gasket composition. Sounds like I could get a tad creative with securing some neoprene in the same sizing and cut to my specs and affix...

Happy riding...

Barry
  • Newport, OR
  • '88 K75s

Tags: